"Not all who wander are lost". You know that quote? Makes me giggle when I see it cause boy oh boy was I wandering and actually lost like 6 years ago around this time. It took me a bit, but I did some soul searching into how I wanted to show up in my life, and what was I showing up for? Fast forward a few years I realized I needed some sort of structure and routine in my life. As an entrepreneur, husband, dad, and super extrovert I realized I needed to show up fully for myself everyday, so that I could show up fully for others and give them my very best. I tried to create a lot of good habits and routines over the years and have found these 7 things have helped me the most everyday. The first 4 on the list I do EVERY MORNING in the same way, the others I sprinkle in at appropriate times. Start by implementing just one thing, and build a foundation. Start small, be consistent, and DON'T OVER THINK IT!
1. Gratitude! The Grateful wake up I call it! Keep it simple. List 3 things you are grateful for when you wake up. You can still have your eyes closed in bed. Just list them off in your head or write them down. I like to do it along with 3 nice long inhale and exhale breaths. Watch how those things you are grateful for show up throughout your day. You will be surprised!
2. NO screen time for the first 30-60 minutes in the morning. I mean it. I have implemented this into my life over the past year or so and it has been a GAME CHANGER. I put my phone on airplane, do not disturb, and turn off the wifi before setting my alarm. Take control of your day with this life hack.
3. Morning Pages! Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. I have noticed a huge shift in my life since I started doing morning pages literally just free hand writing, not even clear thoughts sometimes. I am just writing for clarity, to empty the mind from the start and have a fresh start to every day. Check out the details HERE on how to get started. Don't over think it. Just do it.
4. Meditation! I have attempted to create a seated meditation practice MANY times and only in the past 6 months have I really been able to dial it in and sit consistently every morning. I was on again, off again with my practice for years. My friends and I created a 21 day meditation experience called Elements For Stress Relief where we meditated everyday with people from all over the world for 21 days with guided meditations that we made. It is great for beginners and REALLY helped me. If you'd like to check it out you can do so HERE.
5. Yoga! This is an obvious one but still needs to be on the list. Like without yoga in my life I don't know where I would be. I certainly would not be writing this blog right now. Take some time to move your body and connect with your breath each day. It doesn't have to be a full 60-90 minutes. Cherish the small practices too! Listen to your body, put on some tunes, and move with intention. I enjoy my own guided practice sometimes, or Yoga With Adriene on YouTube, and an app called ALO Moves.
6. Flossing my teeth! Sounds simple, but for like 32 years I wasn't any good at it consistently. Then, on January 1, 2019 I made the commitment to do it DAILY and it changed my life. When I put this simple act into action I knew it was something I could always count on at the end of the day. Here I am a 17 months later and I haven't missed a floss session yet.
7. Cold Showers. Yes, you read that right. I interviewed Enahm Hof (the son of Wim Hof, the "Ice Man") on my podcast The Yogi Show like 4 months ago and have taken a cold shower every single time since then. Start by taking your regular warm shower but, at the very end before you get out crank it all the way to cold and immerse for 30 seconds. Increase the length of the cold time as you adapt more and more. While in the cold water connect with your breath, and notice the vitality you feel when you're done. I'm telling you right now, get ready for some additional mental toughness, strengthened immune system, and adrenaline.
I hope these 7 healthy habits help you as much as they have helped me. Take what you need and leave what you don't. When you establish healthy habits and routine you will have something that you can rely on, that makes you feel grounded in the present. Remember to just start with one thing and grow it from there. Consistency is the key. Don't over think it. Just start. You got this.
Pedro Luna is a south Florida based yoga instructor, lululemon ambassador, podcast host, event host, and international retreat leader. He is also the co-host of YogaFestFL (the largest yoga festival in Florida), and creator of the globally recognized and hilarious Instagram page @yogimemes. Pedro is on a mission to share the gift of yoga with the world, one person at a time.
Follow Pedro On Social Media: